UNESCO World Heritage in Japan
Visit World Heritage in Japan
TOP > World heritage
World Heritage in Japan
What is World Heritage?
The World Heritage program was founded with the 'Convention Concerning the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage', which was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO in 1972. They register the sites of outstanding universal value to the common heritage of humanity.
There are 3 classifications by the properties.
1. Cultural heritage:
Unique and creative buildings, ruins, cultural landscapes with outstanding value.
For example, Acropolis in Athens
2. Natural heritage:
Areas of outstanding value with unique and important geography, living things, landscapes, etc.
For example, Yellowstone National Park in USA.
3. Mixed heritage:
Heritages of outstanding value which has both aspects of culture and nature.
For example, Machu Picchu in Peru.
185 countries participate and 878 heritages are registered as of 2008.
World Heritages in Japan
Japan participated in 'Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage' in 1992. Following is the list of World Heritages in Japan.
1. Buddhist Monuments in the Horyuji Area (Culture, registered in 1993)
2. Himeji-jo, Himeji Castle (Culture, 1993)
3. Yakushima, Yaku Island (Nature, 1993)
4. Shirakami-sanchi, Shirakami Mountain Range (Nature, 1993)
5. Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (Culture, 1994)
6. Historic Villages of Shirakawa-go and Gokayama (Culture, 1995)
7. Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku-Dome) (Culture, 1996)
8. Itsukushima Shinto Shrine (Culture, 1996)
9. Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara (Culture, 1998)
10. Shrines and Temples in Nikko (Culture, 1999)
11. Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu
12. Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range
13. Shiretoko (Nature, 2005)
14. Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine and its Cultural Landscape
15. Ogasawara Islands (Nature, 2011)
16. Hiraizumi (Culture, 2011)
General information of Japan
World heritage in Japan
-Shirakami Mountain Range
-Shirakawa-go and Gokayama
-Hiroshima Peace Memorial
-Shrines and Temples in Nikko
-Kingdom of Ryukyu
-Kii Mountain Range
-Iwami Silver Mine
Accommodation in Japan
Japanese culture (National Treasures)
Japanese culture 2 (Culture in everyday life)
Souvenir of Japan
continually updated !
Travel Diary in Tokyo
English Guiding Service
|Copyright(C) Let's Travel in Japan! All Rights Reserved|
|[PR] China Great Wall|